Google account: export data (Google Takeout)
When you’ve finished your studies, taken a year off or will change from a Gmail to an Office365 account (like all students will this year), it is a good idea to secure the data from your Google account. This will ensure you don’t lose access to documents and other information. You can secure your data by following the instruction below and use Google Takeout.
- Go to https://takeout.google.com/
- Log in using your UU student email address (@students.uu.nl)
- Now choose what to back-up by selecting the type of data you want to keep
- Click ‘Next step’
- Choose where you want to save your back-up
There are several options to choose from, in this manual we use the option ‘Send download link via email’.
- Then choose ‘Export once’
- Choose .zip as the file type
- If you have a lot of data to export, you can choose a higher setting here so your your data will get divided in fewer separate files
- Click ‘Make export’
Depending on the amount of data you’re exporting it might take a while for your file(s) to be ready.
Once the export is finished you can download and save the file on a location that suits you.
Because of the chosen method, you will also receive an email with a link to your archive file.
The .zip file with all your data can be saved (and unpacked) to your own computer or another Cloud location, OneDrive (part of Office 365) for example.
OneDrive is a good option if you want to use the files in Office applications like Teams or if you want to share them with other people.
Last modified: 15/05/2020