Office 365: Multi-factor authenticatie (MFA) FAQ
MFA for guest users will be implemented on the 3th of May 2022.
When an external (not UU) user gets a guest account with the UU, multi-factor authentication must be configured for security purposes. A guest account is created when the user is added to a Teams group or is granted access to a Sharepoint site, OneDrive or folders/files on those services.
In other cases, such as one-time participation in a Teams meeting, this is not applicable.
SharePoint, OneDrive and Teams are all part of Office 365, the online Microsoft cooperation platform.
In this FAQ you will find several questions and answers divided in the following categories:
- Multi-factor-authentication and Office 365
- Practical information
- Teams and Multi-factor-authentication
Multi-factor-authentication and Office 365
When do I have to use Multi-factor authentication (MFA) as a guest user and when is it not necessary?
Multi-factor authentication (MFA) for guest users does need to be used in the following situation:
- On membership: if a guest user has been or will be granted access to a Teams group or full SharePoint site.
- When sharing files: when a file or folder from OneDrive and or SharePoint is shared or has been shared directly with a guest user.
In the situations below, Multi-factor authentication for guest users is not required:
- Teams meeting: if a guest user is invited to a separate Teams meeting from the calendar in Teams and/or Outlook.
What is the difference between 2FA (Two-factor authentication) and MFA (Multi-factor authentication)?
The term used by Microsoft differs from the term used by the UU. UU uses 2FA (two-factor authentication) and Microsoft uses MFA (multi-factor authentication). However, the principle is the same.
MFA only applies when logging in. So if one stays logged into Teams or SharePoint during the day, it will only be once. If one logs out, then one will be asked for MFA again when logging in.
Go to this manual for more information: Office 365: Multi-factor authentication (MFA) for guest users.
Please ask your UU contact person or directly reach out to the IT servicedesk of the UU. The IT servicedesk can reset your MFA, this allows you to set it up again using a different phone. If you don’t have a new phone yet, you can request a reset once you do.
First try your UU contact person if you need help or check out the manual and FAQ on this UU manuals page. If your question/answer is not in the FAQ you can contact the IT servicedesk for assistence.
Yes, a guest user can leave an organization at any time without contacting an administrator.
- With a work or school account, go to: https://myaccount.microsoft.com
- With a personal account go to:
By choosing the “Leave Organization” option, you will lose access to all Teams groups and files shared with you.
Teams en Multi-factor-authenticatie
Multi-factor authentication for guest users does need to be used in the situations below:
- Membership: if a guest user has been or will be granted access to a Teams group or a Teams channel.
Multi-factor authentication (MFA) for guest users is not required in the situations listed below:
- Teams meeting: If a guest user is invited to a separate Teams meeting (meeting) from the calendar in Teams and or Outlook.
- Teams live event with public access: if a guest user is invited to a public live event where login is not required.
- Teams webinar: when a guest user will be invited to a Teams webinar from the calendar in Teams and or Outlook.
No, this is not necessary.
Yes, during a Teams meeting you can still share files with guest users in the same way by uploading a document from your computer. However, sharing a Cloud file from OneDrive or a Teams group will require (login) and MFA.
I have been invited as a guest user to different Teams groups at the UU. Do I need to log in again with MFA when I switch between the different Teams groups?
No, this is not necessary. As a guest user to only need to log in using MFA once for all Team groups and channels.
I have access to multiple Teams environments (including from other organizations) as a guest user. Can I still switch to another organization within Microsoft Teams to see Teams groups and channels I've been invited to?
Yes, you can still do that in the same way. MFA only applies when logging in to Teams groups of Utrecht University and not (necessarily) to Teams groups and channels of other organizations.
Last modified: 15/03/2022