SCEM: Private phone (iOS)
To access the UU Office 365 apps (Outlook, Teams, OneDrive, Word, etc.) and associated data, you have to install the Microsoft Authenticator app.
Your phone has to:
- Have a recent version of iOS (13 or higher)
- Have a PIN-code (with a minimum of 6 numbers)
- Protected with 2FA
At the UU, the following apps are considered business apps:
- Microsoft Outlook
- Microsoft OneDrive
- Microsoft Word
- Microsoft Excel
- Microsoft OneNote
- Microsoft Powerpoint
- Microsoft Sharepoint
- Microsoft Edge
- Microsoft Authenticator
- Adobe Reader
- Microsoft To-Do
The following conditions and restrictions apply to devices with an Apple iOS operating system:
- The copying, (cutting/pasting) of business data to personal apps is not possible;
- The copying, (cutting/pasting) of business data between business apps is always possible;
- The saving of business documents is only possible in Microsoft Onedrive or Sharepoint;
- The saving of business documents on your own phone or tablet is not possible;
- After 30 minutes (of not using a business app) the PIN will have to be entered again to be able to open business apps.
If you’ve already installed Office 365 apps to reach business data (like your UU-mail), those apps won’t be able to reach UU-data after the installation of Intune. After this you will use the apps that are installed via Intune. This changes itself after the installation.
In this manual, an iPhone with iOS version 14 was used. Pictures can differ with different versions of iOS.
To follow this manual any further, a 2FA app has to be installed. For more information about 2FA, see: https://intranet.uu.nl/en/2fa .
Installing the Outlook app for business use
Attention: have you not yet installed the Microsoft Authenticator? Install this first, before continuing.
- Open the Apple Store on your device (phone or tablet), and download the Microsoft Authenticator app.
- Logging in on the Microsoft Authenticator app with your Solis-ID is not necessary.
If Outlook is already installed, you can skip this step and continue to step 3.
- Search the Apple Store for the Outlook app, and install it.
- Click “Open” to start the Microsoft Outlook app.
- Fill in your work e-mail address (@uu.nl) where it says “E-mailadres”, and click “Add account”.
After this, the Microsoft Authenticator app will open.
- Press “Open Authenticator”
- You will het a pop-up on your screen. Once you’ve read this pop-up, press “OK” at the bottom of it.
- You will be directed to a login screen of the Utrecht University.
- Give your password that is connected to your @uu.nl e-mail address, and press “Continue”.
- The 2FA-app will automatically start for authentication.
- Authenticate the app.
After the authentication your device will have to be registered for secured access.
- Press “Register”.
Microsoft Outlook will now start up with the question if a second account should be added. For now this can be skipped.
- Press “Not now”.
A pop-up will appear saying that Microsoft Outlook will have to be restarted to apply the changes.
- Press “OK”.
Microsoft Outlook will restart.
When Microsoft Outlook has restarted, you will receive a notification that the app is now being managed by the UU.
- Press “OK”.
You will now be asked to set up a 6-digit PIN for the app.
You will then be asked to confirm the 6-digit PIN by entering it again.
You will be asked for permission to your phone’s contacts.
- Give this permission by pressing “Open settings”.
- Within the settings screen, scroll down until you see Outlook.
- Select “Outlook”.
- In the settings for Outlook, press the slider next to “Contacts” so that it turns green.
- The permissions for contacts have now been configured.
- Close the settings and start the Outlook app again.
When Microsoft Outlook has restarted, you will get another pop-up asking to enable notifications.
Select “Enable” if you want your inbox to always be updated.
Finally, Microsoft Outlook will ask if it can send notifications.
- Select the preferred option
The Microsoft Outlook app has now been correctly installed.
Last modified: 16/06/2022