Teams: chat and work together
Teams is a Microsoft application you can use to work together, chat with colleagues and share files. Everyone at the UU with an Microsoft 365 account has access to this application. Check out this introduction video and this information flyer to learn more about the possibilities and functionalities of Teams.
This manual explains how to install Teams and use some of the basic functionality.
Teams is installed on all UU Windows 10 computer by default. Is this not the case? Then make use of the web version or download the desktop version from there.
- Go to https://teams.microsoft.com/
- Log in using your UU email address and your solis password
- Click the icon in the bottom left to download the desktop application
You can also download Teams via this link: https://teams.microsoft.com/downloads.
You might get this error message when you are installing Teams or using it for the first time.
- Click ‘Cancel’
- Teams will install/start up as normal and with complete functionality
- You will find the desktop version of Teams in your start menu.
- Use your UU email address and solis password to log in when prompted
For more information about using the chat function see this instruction: chatting with Teams.
To reply to an existing message in a Teams channel, click on ‘reply’ at the bottom of any message.
For more information see: create a new post.
When you open a Team or select it, the icon in the top right will tell you the privacy setting of this team (see image below). ‘Organization’ means that the content of such a team is available to all UU employees and students. ‘Team’ means that the content of such a team is available only to the owners and members of the team.
- In Teams,on the left hand side in the vertical menu click on ‘Teams‘.
- Click on the team whose privacy settings you want to change
- Click on the three dots behind the team name.
- Click on ‘Edit team’.
- Below the description you see the current privacy settings. If the team is public you’ll also see ‘Public’ as value. Click on the current value and change it to ‘Private’
- In the popup you click on ‘Update’ to save the new privacy settings.
- In Teams the new privacy settings are applied immediately.
Beware! For saving videos Teams is making use of another service named Stream. It can take up to one or two hours before the new privacy settings are also applied over here.
If you are the Team owner you can add people to your Team straight away. When you are not the owner, you can still add people, but the owner will have to approve the request. The Team owner automatically receives a notification of this request.
First click on the three dots next to the team name. Then choose ‘Manage team’.
Last modified: 14/07/2023